Short answer? Hell yea. Taking Collagen is your new daily anti-aging ritual.
Collagen is actually a very important supplement that our bodies need as the primary building blocks of connective tissues. As the most plentiful protein in your body, it makes up your ligaments, tendons and muscles and skin. Approximately 90% of the body’s collagen comprises 3 main types. When supplementing, a combination collagen formula of types 1 & 3 are the most optimal.
- Type I - Accounts for roughly 90% of your body’s collagen and provides structure to skin, bones, and cartilage
- Type III - Supports the structure of muscles, organs and arteries.
The results of these types of collagen helps to support your strength and mobility. Collagen helps with making hair more full and improves skin, and supports joints. We require more collagen either through certain foods––and eventually with collagen supplements––as the body gets older and becomes less efficient at naturally producing collagen that is needed for effective soft tissue, bones and joints.
As we age, our bodies need more collagen, to replace what we use naturally. Men can benefit from regular use of collagen, too. In order to maintain strength, supplementing appropriately is key. When examining what does collagen do, a recent study showed that active men who did a combination of collagen peptide supplements and strength training increased muscle mass and strength more than a placebo. So when choosing a protein powder or a collagen supplement, it's important to make sure that it includes the right kind of collagen types. You want to choose something that is high quality and that you feel comfortable to take daily, for maximum results.
There are a lot of misconceptions about collagen out there. The truth is that it can do a lot for a man’s body and in some cases more than you may have realized. We’re breaking down some common myths about supplementing with collagen that may have led you to believe it’s just a product for women..
- Myth: women need more collagen
- Truth: Men’s skin has a higher collagen density
- Myth: collagen is only for skin
- Truth: collagen helps keep your bones, muscles, and joints functioning smoothly so you can keep hitting it hard at the gym
- Myth: collagen is only for elder people
- Truth: natural collagen production starts to slow around the age of 35
- Myth: collagen supplements don’t get absorbed or processed by the body
- Truth: hydrolyzed collagen is best for easy digestion. Look for collagen peptides to make sure you’re getting the most out of your collagen supplement
- Myth: you can only get collagen from bovine sources
- Truth: you can get collagen from marine sources
- Myth: all collagen supplements are created equally
- Truth: There are different quality levels and different types of collagen. Not all of them are good for you and not all of them can be digested by the body
- You need something with the right types of collagen peptides blend
Collagen Supports Healthy Lifestyles for Men
For men looking to have a healthier lifestyle, more energy, and maintain their youth, collagen supplements can be a great option. Not only can it help speed recovery time after a hard workout, but it can also be the key to maintaining muscle long-term. This is because collagen strengthens ligaments and tendons, plus can help improve tissue recovery and repair. It also has anti-inflammatory properties to help reduce joint swelling and pain.
Beyond aiding your muscles, taking collagen supplements can help promote gut health in males as well as females. Experts believe collagen aids to repair the gut lining, especially for issues like “leaky gut.” Naturally collagen-rich foods like bone broth also help boost gut health. It has been shown to boost your metabolism when consumed daily and even boost your energy!
The best, highest quality blend of collagen contains an amino acid (proline) which helps clear fat and plaque from arteries, which means it can help promote a heart healthy lifestyle. While several foods contain collagen, its absorption into the body is not as efficient as using a powdered supplement. Transformation’s Collagen peptides is a multi-collagen blend we recommend adding into your daily supplement routine to reap all the collagen benefits. Not only is it flavorless, but it mixes easily into your morning coffee or protein smoothie to help fuel your workouts and your body. Try it for yourself, use this recipe.
Recipes You'll Love!
- 1 Scoop Collagen
- 1 Cup Brewed hot Coffee
- 1-2 Tbs your favorite non-dairy alternative Creamer
- 5-6 Large Ice Cubes
Add Collagen powder
Shake or stir until mixed
Chill the coffee with ice or let it sit in the fridge to cool off
Add your favorite milk or creamer, shake until evenly mixed